Day in history for March 11, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- As Charles Brewer was returning from his work in the city to his boarding place at John R. Reynolds, on the bluffs, a man sprang suddenly from the bushes and struck at him with a knife. Brewer parried the blow and received a frightful cut across the palm of his hand.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A severe snow storm took place last night. The snow drifted in some places to a depth of six or seven feet.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Charles Hastings was elected chairman of the city-township Republican committee.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- John J. Devine, 63, Rock Island Lines yardmaster and an employee of the railroad since 1888, died this morning at his home, 537 28th St., Rock Island.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Grover N. Kortum, 1530 12th St., Rock Island, has filed a claim of $49 against the city, charging that chemicals in the city water killed 40 of his goldfish.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island School Board wants to sell Saukie Field to the city of Rock Island or the park board to make sure it remains an open space. The decision came after several board members expressed interest in keeping the 9.46-acre ball field at 30th Avenue and 36th Street open, rather than selling it to a developer.
Back: Available days in March 2006