Day in history for March 10, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Two prisoners named Crickbaum and McCord, confined in the county jail for larceny, escaped Friday night from their cells left unlocked and are still at large.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Home Talent will shortly produce ''The Pirates of Penzance.''
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Haviland Cinch Club met Thursday afternoon with Mrs. Emma Boldt. The high score prize fell to Mrs. Mame Ohge.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A tax increase of 62 1/2 cents per $100 assessed valuation will be put up to the voters of Rock Island School District in a special election on Saturday, May 2, it was decided at the regular monthly meeting of the Board of Education in the high school building last night.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- When high school girls, and boys, too, forget to eat their lunches, they must be absorbed in something mighty fascinating. That's the sort of thing that's happening to Moline High School students in their off-school time, and the object of their absorption is knitting.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The cost of mailing a first class letter will go up to 18 cents effective March 22, the Postal Board of Governors announced this afternoon. The new rates will also boost the cost of mailing a postcard to 12 cents.
Back: Available days in March 2006