Day in history for February 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Some swindler who calls himself ''J.D. Wilford, Box 611, Chicago,'' wants us to publish his humbug advertisement. Truth and honesty on the face of the advertisement and cash in advance for its publication are required.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The county clerk's office today was supplied with a Bell telephone.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Cornelius Donovan announced his candidacy for sheriff in the coming Democratic primary.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Harry H. Cleaveland of Rock Island, director of the Illinois Department of Public Works and Buildings, told contractors yesterday before opening bids on a long list of proposed highway projects, that the state will insist that contractors pay the going rate of wages and hire men from the localities in which the work is being done.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- An emergency plan for disposition of garbage was announced today by East Moline city officials after authorities of Rock Island and Henry counties ordered a halt to disposition outside the city.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Hamfest '81, the 21st annual amateur radio show sponsored by the Sterling-Rock Falls Amateur Radio Society, will be held Sunday at the Sterling High School Field House.
Back: Available days in February 2006