Day in history for February 27, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- By reference to an advertisement it will be seen that a complimentary benefit will be given to Mr. J. Mairs, late of Christy's Minstrels, an old favorite on the Chicago Ethiopian Boards.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. Dr. McGaw of the Central Presbyterian Church preached on ''The Haste to be Rich.''
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Local cigar dealers were facing competition from the National Cigar Stands Co.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The attack upon the 1929 readjustment in the business of the Modern Woodmen of America, made in the United States Supreme Court by John W. McKissick and D.W. Wright, was summarily disposed of by the court in favor of the society.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Final preparations were being made for the formal opening of Iowa's first all-weather shopping center, the Village Shopping Center on Kimberly Rd., west of Harrison St., set for Thursday morning.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A fire escape, holding pen and exercise area is being added to the Rock Island County jail on the southwest corner of the building. The addition, costing between $90,000 and $100,000, is being built to bring the jail into compliance with the state jail standards and to improve fire safety at the jail.
Back: Available days in February 2006