Day in history for February 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Our sidewalks need looking to. In many places where they were ordered to be constructed nothing has been done.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. S.W. McCullough of Taylor Ridge celebrated their crystal wedding anniversary Monday.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- ''Reuben in New York'' is the attraction at the Illinois Theater tonight.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A famous London painter chose six American movie actresses whom he considered ''most beautiful.'' Among them were Marlene Dietrich, because ''only Michaelangelo could duplicate her,'' Norma Shearer, because she is ''a lovely, simple woman whom sophistication has not spoiled,'' and Greta Garbo, because ''she is absolutely mad, and being mad, is therefore ethereal.''
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island police continued an investigation into the theft of $60 from basketball game ticket sales at the Athletic Shop, 1825 3rd Ave., Rock Island.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Burrell L. Small, 62, a major figure in Midwestern broadcasting, died Sunday in a Kankakee hospital. Mr. Small, of Kankakee, was president and chairman of the Mid America Media Group, whose properties include radio stations WQUA, Moline, and KRVR, Davenport, nine other radio stations and two cable systems.
Back: Available days in February 2006