Day in history for February 22, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Are these abolitionists mad, that they would thus involve us in a civil war? Is our country to become a government of mobs, instead of a government of law?
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The resignation of S.S. Kemble as a lieutenant in the Rodman Rifles was accepted today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A Washington's Birthday program was carried out yesterday at Augustana College. Prof. Andrew Kempe spoke on ''Washington and Our Constitution.''
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- An army of 70,000 policemen and poll-watchers made plans to maintain order in tomorrow's mayoralty and aldermanic primaries in Chicago, with reports already before them of re-election violence.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- City and civic representatives of Moline are scheduled to attend the Midwestern Shade Tree Clinic today through Friday in LaSalle Hotel, Chicago. They are expected to return with the latest information on prevention and control of the Dutch elm disease.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Henry W. ''Bill'' McNeal, 54, who rose from assistant state's attorney of Rock Island County to judge in the Illinois 14th Circuit, died Saturday in Illini Hospital. McNeal, of 952 40th St., Moline, was elected to the Illinois circuit bench in November.
Back: Available days in February 2006