Day in history for February 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A locomotive which was being hauled over the river on sleds for the M And M Railroad was nearly capsized and detained several hours in the middle of the river.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Davenport was supporting 187 saloons, according to an estimate released today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- H.A.J. McDonald will assume office as postmaster on March 1, succeeding T.H. Thomas.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Quad-City boxing fans will have the privilege of seeing 32 rounds of boxing and a 1-fall wrestling match at the Davenport Coliseum tonight, with the battle between Jock Malone, St. Paul Flash, and Kid Leonard of East Moline, as the headliner.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- About 90 persons attended the first reunion of the Rock Island Chapter of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America, Inc., last night at the Harper House Ballroom.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A Growmark Inc. official has announced that the firm has chosen a three-acre piece of property in Rock Island's riverfront industrial belt for its planned grain barge terminal. The agri-products shipping and handling company has not yet bought the property and still is negotiating the price.
Back: Available days in February 2006