Day in history for February 18, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A pair of horses attached to a wagon loaded with wood became frightened yesterday afternoon while standing near the city scales, and ran at a furious rate down by our office, capsizing the wood and breaking the wagon.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Members of the Events Commandery, Knights Templar, gave a reception in the Masonic Temple here for the members of St. Simon of Cyrene Commandery of Davenport.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Masonic Temple was reopened after repairs. Three-hundred Masons attended the luncheon coincident with the reopening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- For the first time in the history of Rock Island County, four women jurors were locked up overnight during the trial of Irving Schraeberg of Chicago, accused of arson.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The City of Rock Island is one of several parties and perhaps the foremost one interested in use of the 20-room mansion and 10-acre estate of the late John H. Hauberg at 13th Ave. and 23rd St., Rock Island.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has withdrawn inspectors from a Milan meat packing company, Davenport Packing Co., forcing the plant to shut down until a dispute over its operations is resolved.
Back: Available days in February 2006