Day in history for February 16, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- How exquisitely charming does a lady appear when attired in a plain neat dress, without any of the modern flummery that now-a-days adorns the generality of our walking exhibitions of foreign and domestic manufactures.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Corbett's Store at Rapids City was entered last night by burglars and robbed of $100 in goods and a small sum of money.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- ''Shadow Behind the Throne'' will be the attraction at the Illinois Theater on the evening of Feb. 18.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A wanderer identified as John F. Cahill, Jr., 37, Woburn, Mass., who lay down beside a flickering camp fire for his night's rest, is dead in Rock Island today of burns received when his clothing caught fire.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Twin boys were born yesterday in Moline Public Hospital to Mr. and Mrs. Lester McNeill, 5204 11th Ave., Moline. They were born on the third birthday anniversary of their brother, Gregory Joseph, and were born at almost the same hour in the same hospital.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Former East Moline prepster Brent Carmichael scored 35 points Sunday to help Olney Junior College defeat Vincennes, Ind., 84-70. The decision snapped Vincennes' 13-game winning streak.
Back: Available days in February 2006