Day in history for February 11, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A large crowd was attracted to the police court yesterday morning to hear the trial of the woman who was committed to jail on Saturday for wearing male attire.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The worst snow storm of the year was in progress today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Augustana College basketball team defeated the YMCA Saturday night, 35-20.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Renewal of The Argus Emergency Relief Fund Appeal was announced today by Mayor Chester Thompson, chairman of the board of trustees which is administering the fund, in hopes that an additional $15,000 will be raised to carry the work of unemployment relief in Rock Island through the present crucial period to April 1.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A mass public meeting will be held at 7:30 next Wednesday night in United Township High School to discuss arrangements for the 1956 Little League baseball program in East Moline, which will continue despite two recent setbacks.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Most rural schools were closed today and absenteeism plagued area industries as road crews and residents battled 6 inches of snow and gusty winds that weathermen said made temperatures of 12 below zero feel like minus 58 this morning.
Back: Available days in February 2006