Day in history for February 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Appearances now indicate an active opening of business in the spring. There will probably be a greater influx of population, more building, and more business here the coming season than in any one year previous.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Last night at a meeting of citizens held at the Harper House resolutions were passed supporting the Hennepin Canal project.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- While John Ohlweiler Sr. was entertaining the Royal Cinch Club at his home he was serenaded by the Rock Island mannerchoir. The musicians were invited in for a social evening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island and Moline together had a retail trade business of $39,060,690 in 1929, it was revealed today in figures compiled by the federal bureau of census at Washington in connection with the census of distribution taken in 1930.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Arrangements for disposition of 18 houses on 13th St., East Moline, future site of a new John Deere Co. warehouse, are almost completed.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. Julia Penelope, linguist and feminist, will present a free lecture on ''Language and Power'' at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Centennial Hall, Augustana College. Her visit is sponsored by the Augustana English Department and by a grant from the Mellon Foundation.
Back: Available days in February 2006