Day in history for January 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island Republican, a staunch democratic paper, has recently changed its name to the Rock Island Argus.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Hunters reported rabbits as being very plentiful.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Master in Chancery F.H. Kelly is in Moline taking testimony in the case of the Moline Building, Loan and Savings Association. There is a large amount of evidence to be offered and it will probably not be concluded at this sitting.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A flat tire indirectly brought about the arrest of Pete Lagno of Chicago on a charge of violating the prohibition law. He was taken into custody in East Moline after officers found 160 1-gallon cans of alcohol in his automobile.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Roy L. ''Bud'' Dawson, 41, of 1118 4th Ave., Moline, died unexpectedly Saturday in Moline Lutheran Hospital. He was a well-known sports announcer in the Quad-City area, announcing all of Moline High School's basketball and football games on WQUA.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- About a dozen people huddled in the cold funeral chapel at Moline's Memorial Park Cemetery Wednesday, listening to the priest pray over a coffin containing the body of a nameless baby found in a garbage dumpster at City Line Plaza Friday.
Back: Available days in January 2006