Day in history for January 6, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We hear that the Hutchinsons had a crowded house and repeated their usual abolition songs offering insults to such names as President Pierce, Sen. Douglas, Edward Everett, Judge Curtice, and others.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- During the month of December a total of 19,251 foot passengers crossed the Rock Island bridge; also 533 passenger cars, 9,443 freight cars and 19,630 teams.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-Cities Newswriters Assn. held a dinner gathering at the Harms Hotel last night. James F. Egan delivered the address.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Plans for the Rock Island locks and dam for the nine foot channel development have been approved by the federal engineer board for rivers and harbors.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island County sheriff's deputies and Davenport police searched the skies and land along the Mississippi River from Credit Island to Andalusia after receiving reports on ''ships from outer space.'' But they learned the ''saucers'' were only reflections from powerful searchlights turned on to advertise the opening of a supermarket at Monmouth.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The United Township High School board voted Monday to obtain a $5,000 option to buy 5.8 acres of land next to south campus.
Back: Available days in January 2006