Day in history for January 5, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A large delegation from Chicago arrived in this city Wednesday evening and stopped at the Island City Hotel. The group was on a railroad excursion to Iowa City and back to Chicago.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Republican County Convention, held today at the courthouse, named J.F. Ankrum for sheriff. Conrad Grantz of Moline was chairman and J.W. Ballard secretary.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Benjamin S. Cable, son of R.R. Cable of Rock Island, was appointed General Attorney for the Rock Island Railroad.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Lines will interpose no objections to government engineers plans for nine foot channel locks and dam in the Mississippi River at Rock Island.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Rep. Fred Schwengel, Davenport, was scheduled to meet today in Washington with Assistant Postmaster General Albert J. Robertson to discuss the possibility of a commemorative stamp for the Rock Island Railroad Bridge Centennial Celebration.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A Silvis dog exhibitor was the top winner at the awards dinner of the Tri-City Kennel Club Saturday. Frank Pouder, 1704 16th Ave., received awards for his six cocker spaniels who were named champions during 1980.
Back: Available days in January 2006