Day in history for January 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The first annual meeting of the Rock Island County Medical Society will be held in the office of Dr. William A. Knox, Rock Island, Jan. 9, at 2 p.m.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A concert will be given at the Harper Opera House on Jan. 10 for the benefit of workmen of the Buford Plow Works who lost their tools in the recent fire.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. D.N. Wentworth and daughter left for New York City today.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Abe Siegel, 2630 Iowa St., owner of the Siegel Department Store at 314 W. 2nd St., Davenport, died at 11:35 last night in Mercy Hospital from injuries he sustained yesterday morning when he was struck by a taxi.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The East Moline City Council accepted a petition signed by 123 residents of the area north of the Burlington Railroad tracks and west of 19th Street who voiced objections to the proposed construction of a ready-mix concrete plant.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The beginning of Rock Island County, like many events in 19th century America, came amid a sharp cultural collision. The county, which celebrates its 150th birthday this year, was born on the frontier, a pressure point of white men's expansion into Indian lands.
Back: Available days in January 2006