Day in history for January 31, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We hear that a change is about to take place in the management of the Rock Island House. The new proprietors are understood to be Mr. Woodin, from Auburn, N.Y., and Mr. Hewitt, of Chicago. The House has recently been much improved and enlarged.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The snow on the city's streets was turning to slush today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A meeting of the city Democratic committee will be held tomorrow evening at the Rock Island House to consider the new primary law.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Fire believed to have been caused by an overheated furnace resulted in considerable damage to the interior of the home occupied by Cedric Johnson, 3505 11th St., Rock Island, shortly after 7 this morning.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Appointment of Norman W. Tischer as circulation manager of The Argus was announced today by the publishers. Mr. Tischer has been an Argus employee 17 years and since May 1954 has been assistant manager of the circulation department.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island Armory was turned into an indoor track for the weekend, drawing bike racers from five states for the first sanctioned bicycle moto-cross competition to be held in the Quad-Cities.
Back: Available days in January 2006