Day in history for January 30, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Butcher has enlarged his ice house and is now putting up a very clear and pure article for the use of our citizens the coming season.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Sheriff-elect Ankrum filed his bond Saturday in the sum of $10,000 with C. Lynde, Phil Mitchell, H.D. Buford, O.J. Dimick and Charles A. Jarvis as sureties.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Augustus D. Cox of Rock Island died suddenly of apoplexy last evening at Valley Junction, Iowa. He was born in Hampton in 1842.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The warmest January in a half-century drew to a balmy conclusion today. High temperatures in the midst of the winter and a combined lack of snow or rainfall have combined to cause widespread apprehension in country districts, while city folks enjoy conditions suggestive of southern resorts.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- An automobile crash at 23rd St. and 4th Ave. Moline about 11:45 last night put railroad gates at several downtown crossings out of commission until Rock Island Lines repair crews were able to repair the damage.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Months of controversy over a proposed mall east of Sherrard ended quietly Thursday as Mercer County Board members, with no discussion, approved rezoning for the project.
Back: Available days in January 2006