Day in history for January 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. T.R. Walker requests us to say that he will meet the singers of Rock Island, and all persons interested in promoting or encouraging vocal music, at the First Presbyterian Church this evening for the purpose of endeavoring to form a union school.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Janauschek played a dual role at Harper's Theater last night, ''Hortense,'' and ''Lady Dedlock,'' characters in a Dickens novel.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. H.H. Cleaveland and Mrs. W.J. Sweeney were hostesses at a musical in the Cleaveland home Friday afternoon.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Preparations were nearly completed today for the Mid-Winter Charity Ball of Rock Island Lodge No. 980, Elks, to be held tomorrow night at the Elks Club, 220 19th St.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Burglars who tried to break into Canada Dry Bottling Co., 700 19th Ave., Moline, early today were frightened away by the arrival of a police car. Squad officers discovered the attempted break-in about 4 this morning.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Local effects of a new International Harvester corporate cost-cutting program are not yet determined. The program, called ''Project 200,'' is an attempt to cut 1981 costs by $200 million.
Back: Available days in January 2006