Day in history for January 26, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- On Tuesday afternoon, Jere Dooner, who was at work in the Mississippi River railroad bridge, lost his balance and fell to the ice, a distance of 27 feet, dislocating his hip joint.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Janauschek is the attraction at Harper's Theater tonight.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Jane Dore in ''East Lynne'' will be the attraction at the Illinois Theater next Monday evening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A net income of $8,199,112 was reported today by Deere And Co., farm equipment manufacturers of Moline, for the fiscal year ending last Oct. 31, equal after preferred dividends to $6.07 a share of no par common stock.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Two East Moline policemen, freshly enrolled in a first aid course, were called early today to act as midwifes in the birth of a baby. Officers Jim Durbin and Jerry Opendike were summoned to the home of Mrs. John Hinton, 706 24th St., to administer necessary aid pending the arrival of the physician.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Fire gutted the century-old building housing the Ophiem Post Office Saturday afternoon, but the postmaster saved the mail. Area firefighters battled the stubborn blaze for about 90 minutes.
Back: Available days in January 2006