Day in history for January 25, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Prof. D. Garbriecht And Co. entertained a large and fashionable audience with their vocal and instrumental music last evening.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Robert Ankrum, Republican, was elected sheriff at Tuesday's election.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Long View Park improvements were discussed at a dinner given by William Jackson of the park commission at the Harper House last night.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island High School cagers captured a thrilling 16-14 victory last night over the best quintet East Moline High School has had in years.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The importance of making the 1956 Rock Island County Mothers' March on Polio a success was stressed in a letter received locally from Miss Helen Hayes, known as ''The First Lady of the Theater.'' The letter was received by Mrs. Dorothy McNeal, Rock Island, county chairperson of the Mothers' March, which will be held Thursday evening.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- They watched them come and go, the politicians, the celebrities and the common folk, for nearly half a century. Now, after working for 47 years at Moline's LeClaire Hotel, Percy and Mildred Fillmer, both 72, are looking forward to getting to know one another better.
Back: Available days in January 2006