Day in history for January 24, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- John R. Stafford was brought before A.F. Swander Esq. on Tuesday last for passing counterfeit money.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A meeting of the Irish Land League was held yesterday, Daniel Daly presiding.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Carl C. Countryman of Chicago has been secured to give an entertainment at the YMCA Friday night. He is a popular impersonator.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Registration for the new semester at Rock Island High School reached a total of 1,073 pupils and with late entries was expected to be slightly more than 1,100.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- United Township High School's rifle team scored a double victory last night in a match at Moline High School. Varsity boys defeated Moline's first team and East Moline girls defeated the Moline boys' second team. In a practice session preceding the match, Diane Walker of East Moline shot a perfect score of 100.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- It's a long way from Varmland province, Sweden, to Rock Island County, but Birger and Lyal Swenson haven't forgotten their roots. The Rock Island couple is donating $500,000 to Augustana College to establish archives and a research center documenting the emigration of Swedes to North America.
Back: Available days in January 2006