Day in history for January 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- At a meeting of the Rock Island City Council last night a committee recommended the purchasing of one fire engine.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. R.H. Barnes of Keota, Iowa, was in charge of services today at the United Presbyterian Church.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Cinch Club gave a farewell party in honor of Mr. and Mrs. John Marten.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Max Schmeling, heavyweight boxing champion of the world, will appear in an exhibition bout at the Moline Field House on April 8.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- ''Operation Family Lift'' was re-routed through Rock Island yesterday morning. Rock Island relatives of men serving aboard the USS Worchester had the opportunity for a brief visit with some of their loved ones. The Navy is moving the families of men serving aboard the ship from the east to the west coast.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- ''They Are Free, Thank GOD.'' Those are the only words on 10 billboards set up this week throughout the Quad-Cities. The dramatic release of the 52 American hostages from Iran Tuesday prompted a Rock Island advertising firm to post the signs to express the relief felt nationwide when the Iranian government ended the captives' 14-month ordeal.
Back: Available days in January 2006