Day in history for January 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We noticed a new building on Madison St. erected for a depot of Moffit's patent threshing machines by Messrs. Owens, Lane and Dyer. These gentlemen will establish a manufactory in our city for these machines and other agricultural implements.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- It was announced today that Samuel Clark has been elected president of the Richland Grove Vigilance committee.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- S.S. Hull was installed last night as prophet of Ki Ki Tribe No. 359, Improved Order of Red Men.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Fort Theater celebrated its 10th anniversary today.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Leilani Mead, Rock Island High School senior, has been named winner of the local Betty Crocker Search for the Homemaker of Tomorrow. She was chosen on the basis of comprehensive tests in the field of homemaking.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Helen Hamilton of Moline received an unexpected surprise at her retirement party when friends presented her with a letter of congratulations from a former co-worker, President-elect Ronald Reagan. Hamilton retired last month with 26 years of service at the Rock Island Arsenal, but Reagan recalled the times in 1933 when they worked together at WOC Radio in Davenport.
Back: Available days in January 2006