Day in history for January 18, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Two of our printers drew the highest prizes in Croft's gift concert, a fine gold hunting watch and a $75 melodeon.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The ice crop in Rock Island is the largest harvested in ten years.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Charles McHugh entertained 275 women at a musicale in the parlors of the Harper House.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Voting on an ordinance to pave the way for the beginning of construction on a proposed new $275,000 bridge from 3rd Ave. and 16th St., Moline, to the Rock Island Arsenal must await a conference between the Moline Council and the three property owners of the district affected.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The American flag used at the dedication of the first bridge across the Mississippi will have a part in the 100th anniversary celebration of the event April 21. It will be carried across the present government bridge in a reenactment of the first crossing.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- In 1937, as a child, Betty Garner of Moline, bought a series of paper dolls. The series, ''First Ladies,''depicts the wives, daughters or hostesses of each U.S. president from Martha Washington to Eleanor Roosevelt and an inaugural gown or outstanding dress representative of the woman.
Back: Available days in January 2006