Day in history for January 17, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The name of the old post office in Edgington which was changed to Holly about two years ago has been restored. It is now called Edgington again and Edward Burrall Esq. is postmaster.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Davenport Democrat has been formed into a stock company. The incorporators are D.N. Richardson, A.F. Richardson and J.J. Richardson.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A Washington dispatch said today that there is every prospect that T.H. Thomas will be reappointed postmaster at Rock Island.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The 73rd annual convention of the Illinois Council of Religious Education is to be held in Rock Island and Moline on June 23, 24 and 25.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Picture editors at The Argus now have a wider choice than ever in selecting good, lively news pictures. The photos come in by literal yards through the latest addition to Argus services for its readers, The Associated Press Photofax machine.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Since the end of World War II, Bob Horton of Moline has built more than 140 models and has swapped or purchased more than 400 plastic model kits that now await glue and paint. He's a member of the Quad-City chapter of the International Plastic Model Society.
Back: Available days in January 2006