Day in history for January 15, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A change has taken place in the weather, the mercury rising from 23 below to 10 above.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The case of smallpox reported to The Argus was genuine. Kate Skelly, a domestic at the Island House, corner 2nd Ave. and 20th St., Rock Island, being the victim.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A Rock Island firm has landed one of the biggest contracts ever awarded in the west for cement work, the Rock Island Granitold Company having been entrusted with the cement basement floors for Davenport's immense new high school building.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The will of Henry C. Kahl, Davenport railroad builder, who died Friday in Chicago following an emergency operation, was filed for probate today in the Scott County district court of Davenport.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Hec Carlson walked off with the men's figure skating championship yesterday, edging out three others in the event before a crowd of nearly 1,000 at Rock Island's annual ice skating contest at the 30th St. rink.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-Cities Nuclear Power Station has received a ''better than average'' rating from the federal government in a recently-created nationwide assessment of nuclear power plants.
Back: Available days in January 2006