Day in history for January 11, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Archibald Bennett was arrested yesterday and brought before Police Magistrate A.F. Swander for using fraudulently a certificate of the city scales, thereby getting pay for four bushels of coal more than he had in his wagon. He was fined $5 and costs.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- An organ concert at the Central Presbyterian Church last night was very much enjoyed.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- John H. Hauberg was elected president of the Luther League of Grace Lutheran Church last night.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- With only 10 days remaining before the close of the period for filing primary election petitions, city Republican leaders in Rock Island are anticipating a decision this week on the mayorality candidate situation.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- William R. Payne, who has served for the past year as chairman of the Advertising and Promotion Committee for the Retail Bureau of Rock Island, last night was presented the E.E. Scott Memorial Trophy for the Outstanding Retailer of the Year.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Kayla Johnson is only 6 years old, but she's a seasoned beauty pageant veteran. Kayla, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Johnson, Tampico, has been in nine pageants in the past two years.
Back: Available days in January 2006