Day in history for January 10, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The second anniversary of the German Glee Club was held at Lettig's Brewery. The association is composed of the best German young men of our city and is managed with great propriety and energy.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A concert for the benefit of the employees of the Buford Plow Works was given tonight at the Harper Theater.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Eighteen couples staged a competition at the skating rink last night. Prizes went to the most graceful skaters.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- In a high-scoring contest, Rock Island High School cagers last night were defeated by Davenport High School, 38-15.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A copy of a rare photograph of Abraham Lincoln will be presented to Rock Island County Jan. 17 by Sec. of State Charles F. Carpentier. The presentation will be made personally by Carpentier to William V. Wakeland, chairman of the County Board of Supervisors.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Elton Fawks looked out the window facing the Mississippi River from his Campbell's Island home and saw a young bald eagle. He picked up the clipboard map and marked the location of the sighting. The local segment of the National Wildlife Federation's third annual midwinter bald eagle survey was underway.
Back: Available days in January 2006