Day in history for January 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- New Year's Day was celebrated by the entire population in a most becoming manner, by calls, sleigh rides, and so forth. The town was a scene of joy and hilarity from morn till night.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- During the month of December, 31 couples were licensed to marry.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- County Clerk Hubbard issued 639 marriage licenses in 1905.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A free trip to Washington, and perhaps to Europe, is the award held out to Rock Island High School boys and girls in a popularity contest to be sponsored by The Argus, the Fort Theatre and Amerop Travel Service, Inc.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Cheryl Lynn Engstrom was born at 12:33 a.m. in St. Anthony's Hospital, Rock Island, with the distinction of being the first baby born in the Quad-Cities in 1956. The infant is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Engstrom, 2921 31st Ave., Rock Island, and weighed more than seven pounds at birth.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Of the eight babies born in the Quad-Cities on New Year's Day, the honor of being the first went to Leann Marie Althiser, a nine-pound, 13 1/2 ounce daughter born to Barbara and Leroy Althiser, 221 19th St., East Moline. Leann was born at 2:45 a.m. at Illini Hospital.
Back: Available days in January 2006