Day in history for December 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- A new furniture store belonging to Charles P. Hengstler was opened next door to Henry Ziegler's Grocery Store on Illinois Street opposite the United States express office.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- J.J. Carroll, an employee of the Buford Plow Works, had his left eye badly injured when a fragment of steel entered it while he was working at the cutting and punching machine.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Gen. William Crozier, chief of ordnance, received a committee of citizens from the Tri-Cities, the members of which were concerned about the diminution of the working force at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The bodies of a mother and daughter were found last night seated beside a small gas range, their heads bowed over three open gas jets. The two, Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Haines, 79, and her daughter, Miss Effie Haines, 52, had been despondent due to ill health.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Negotiations for sale of industrial sites included in property to be purchased by the Rock Island Lines located on the fringe area of Milan will get underway soon.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Moline police are investigating an incident in Riverside Cemetery where somebody dug a 1-foot deep hole in a grave.
Back: Available days in December 2005