Day in history for December 7, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Our usual pleasant weather has returned again and promises us something agreeable for winter.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Central Temperance Society was to give an entertainment at the Christian Chapel tonight.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- A telegram brought the news yesterday of the death of Charles R. Harrington, son of Mr. and Mrs. F.R. Harrington, at Hot Springs, Ark. He was 21 years of age and was born and raised in Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Thursday, December 18, was selected as the date of the dance planned by the Rock Island Lodge, No. 956, Eagles, for the benefit of The Argus Santa Claus and Emergency Relief Fund.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Miss Susann McDonald, harpist, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George H. McDonald, Rock Island, is featured in the December issue of Listen Magazine, a high fidelity and FM guide published in Chicago. The article quotes several authorities on the excellence of Miss McDonald's artistry.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- ''The Happy Bear'' emblem still grins outside the Bear Manufacturing plant in Rock Island, but inside there's little to smile about. A hundred jobs at the 63-year-old firm are going down the drain as of next Friday, when operations begin to shut down.
Back: Available days in December 2005