Day in history for December 4, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The day was mild and fair, closing with a pleasant dance at the Island City Hotel and another at the Mansion House.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Ice men were expecting a greater harvest this winter than for 10 years past.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Madame Helen Modjeska, the famous actress who appeared at the Illinois Theater, viewed the great Rock Island bridge, of which her son, Ralph Modjeska, was the designing architect.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The 27th Street car was damaged yesterday in Moline when a trolley pole at 11th Avenue snapped off and struck the rear of the car.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The surprise was so complete that the sister of a Moline woman, whom she hadn't seen for 24 years, couldn't be convinced of the relationship during Truth or Consequences, a television program seen on WOC-TV. Mrs. James Barton was skeptical of the identity of Mrs. Melvin Hanson Jr., Moline, when they met face to face.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Long-delayed plans to test the Oak Glen Home water system received another setback when engineers tried to lower a new pump into the old well shaft. Part of the old well shaft apparently collapsed when the old pump was removed and the new pump wouldn't fit.
Back: Available days in December 2005