Day in history for December 31, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- We learn from Dr. Ciolina that a German butcher was bitten in the hand by a rabid dog. The doctor was called in less than 10 minutes and extirpated the infected part, then exploded the wounds with gun powder and, after cauterization, dressed the hand.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Charles G. Hengstler is a Republican candidate for county sheriff.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Oscar A. Barnhart, once interested in the Rock Island Union, died in Chicago last week.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- An escaped convict sought for more than a week by Rock Island police as the shotgun bandit who recently staged a series of holdups here is in a hospital in Chillicothe, Mo. He is Ross Castle, 24, who escaped from the state penitentiary at Joliet Dec. 2.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island County school officials expressed unanimous opinion that it would be completely impractical to use the former watch factory on Vandruff's Island as a high school building.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Silvis trees are being trimmed, treated and wrapped under the direction of Daniel Voltz as part of the city's new forestry program. The 26-year-old East Moline man was hired two weeks ago to begin nursery and tree care programs for Silvis residents.
Back: Available days in December 2005