Day in history for December 30, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- A.H. Kent, of the People's Market, opposite the City Hotel, intends opening his market on Monday evening next.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. A.B. Allen, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, Rock Island, officiated last night in the residence of Mrs. J. Deere Chapman, at the marriage of her daughter, Miss Floy Mabel, to Schiller Hosford of Clinton, Iowa.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Charles McHugh of the Harper House entertained the members of the Fort Armstrong Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, at the Harper House yesterday afternoon.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- With the receipt of $202 today, The Argus Emergency Relief Fund approached the $18,000 mark. Ultimately it is hoped that $20,000 will be raised to help jobless workers and their families through the winter.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The cover for the January issue of the Illinois Junior Historian, a publication sponsored by the Illinois State Historical Society and written and illustrated by young Illinoisians, was drawn by Joe Reading, ninth grader at Franklin Junior High School.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A caboose parked under the wooden bridge spanning the bankrupt Rock Island Lines Silvis Yards was destroyed by fire Monday.
Back: Available days in December 2005