Day in history for December 29, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Those who say that Rock Island is not increasing both in population and commercial importance, and rapidly, are ''know-nothings.'' Not having sauntered out lately, we were surprised upon the very many improvements in our midst.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Plow Works brigade was to give a ball at the Turner Hall tonight.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Charles J. Pfoh, resident here for 49 years, died this morning at the age of 83. He was born in Germany Dec. 22, 1882, and came to this country in 1847.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- DeWayne C. Reynolds, 10, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl R. Reynolds, 1225 19th St., Rock Island, died at 6:30 yesterday morning in St. Anthony's Hospital of injuries sustained Saturday forenoon in a coasting accident.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Bob Motz and Gary McLamarrah teamed up yesterday to win the Men's Double Table Tennis Championship in the Rock Island City Tournament held at the Rock Island YMCA.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Edras Unash, rural Geneseo, got a mystery along with her usual Christmas cards last week. A letter she had written to an elderly aunt in Des Moines 11 years ago turned up among a batch of Christmas cards Dec. 22. The envelope was postmarked 1 p.m. March 1, 1969.
Back: Available days in December 2005