Day in history for December 23, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- One span of the Mississippi railroad bridge is now nearly completed.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Republican county convention to nominate a sheriff will be held on Jan. 3. The election takes place on Jan. 25.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- E.C. Hart, who has served for 14 years as a salesman for the Hartz and Bahnsen Co., is to resign with the new year and devote his attention to interests in North Dakota, although he will continue to live in Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Christmas stock climbed skyward in Rock Island today as The Argus Santa Claus paid annual dividends of happiness among needy children. Some 2,000 children received the profits of an unparalleled season of giving as a dozen trucks trundled throughout the city delivering toys and other gifts.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Clarence V. Huff Jr., Rock Island, today completed a four-year apprenticeship at the Rock Island Arsenal as an artillery field mechanic.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- If you consume too much Christmas cheer in your favorite bar this holiday season, Bob Nourse has a present for you, a free cab ride home. Nourse, owner of six taxicab companies based in Rock Island, said his offer begins today and ends Jan. 1.
Back: Available days in December 2005