Day in history for December 10, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The condition of the sidewalks on the south side of Illinois Street between Washington and Madison is a disgrace.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- There was much discussion going on as to the Milan bridge when the charter expires in February. All are agreed that the bridges shall be free, but there is a difference of opinion in regard to the city of Rock Island giving the bridges to the county.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. A.W. Williamson, who recently gave up his chair of mathematics at Augustana College, presented the college with his large and valuable library.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- W.L. Spencer, 96, died last evening in Moline, his death terminating an eventful life during which he became acquainted with Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas, associated with Indians, engaged in early railroad construction and founded an Oklahoma town.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- There will be no ice skating on Prospect Park lagoon for some time because of a leak. The leak was through a storm sewer that goes under the lagoon.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Efforts to preserve Rock Island's 77-year-old Rock Island Lines depot may include sale of shares to the public to pay for its renovation, along with designation as a historic place.
Back: Available days in December 2005