Day in history for December 1, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- All day yesterday there was high excitement between the crews of the two ferry boats. We hear it commenced by a boast on the part of someone on the Wilson that they could drive the Davenport out from her landing every trip.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Mrs. William T. Ball of Moline died yesterday morning.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Charles Olsen, formerly of Rock Island, became the champion middleweight wrestler of the world when he defeated James Parr last night at Ashville, N.C.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Ernest Bowman, 38, Macomb policeman who was a former Rock Island resident, died a hero yesterday nine hours after he and three other officers were shot in a grim gun battle with a desperado who was in turn killed by Bowman.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Milk reappeared on doorsteps and in grocery stores in the Quad-Cities today after union members ratified their first contract last night, 232 to 14.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Two state police fliers watched in disbelief as a crippled aircraft they were trying to escort to a safe landing stalled and crashed, killing the pilot. The crash occurred at 12:08 p.m., 2 miles south of Interstate 80 and half mile west of Illinois 78, in an alfalfa field.
Back: Available days in December 2005