Day in history for November 18, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Last evening as one of the laborers was returning from this city to the island, while crossing the railroad bridge, he made a false step and fell through the timbers into the water, a distance of 12 to 15 feet.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- James First, proprietor of the new wagon factory at Milan, expects to turn out 300 or 400 wagons by spring.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Today saw the end of the packet season on the Mississippi River, the Silver Crescent laying up here after her last trip from Muscatine.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- At a meeting of upper-Mississippi division delegates to the Mississippi Valley Assn. session in St. Louis steps were taken to secure a revival of traffic on the Hennepin Canal.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Vandals removed a manhole cover from a sewer line at 10th St. and 19th Ave., Moline, early today and caused serious damage to a car that drove over the opening later. Peter Pappas, of Rock Island, said his automobile was so badly sprung out of shape that he couldn't open some of the doors.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Aldo Cella, star of the Cella Lambrusco TV commercials, will visit Lee's College Inn, 14th Ave. and 38th St., Rock Island, this weekend.
Back: Available days in November 2005