Day in history for October 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- A large and excellent steamboat, The Fire Canoe, was purchased by Mr. B.D. Crary, who will keep her in the Rock Island trade the remainder of the season.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- John R. Warner, Esq., who has been in attendance at the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Fraternity at Chicago, returned home last evening.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Judge Septimus J. Hanna, C.S.D., will give a lecture on Christian Science tomorrow evening at the Illinois Theater.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- It is anticipated that the Public Schools stadium will have very few empty seats tonight when Rock Island and Coach Ross Anderson's Kewanee gridders meet. The annual battle between the two schools will be the feature attraction of a program that will dedicate the giant $10,000 floodlights at the bowl.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Gordon Hamilton of Augustana College reported $70 worth of clothing and other items taken from his car while it was parked in the lower parking lot of Lincoln Park.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- About 100 firefighters from seven communities battled four hours last night to overcome a stubborn blaze that gutted the Bring'er Inn, a downtown Milan landmark, said to be the oldest restaurant in the Quad-Cities.
Back: Available days in October 2005