Day in history for October 31, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Next Monday occurs the annual charter election of Rock Island. The Argus supported B.F. Barrett for mayor and Joseph Conway, Jacob Starr, B.J. Cobb and Jere S. Smith for aldermen.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- By a telegraphic dispatch to R.S. Peebles from Leadville, Colo., the announcement is made of the death of James E. Chapman, formerly of Rock Island.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- August Springhorn, 43, fell into the Mississippi at the foot of 3rd Street and drowned. He is survived by his mother, one sister and one brother.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The American Lutheran Conference closed yesterday at Minneapolis. The official delegates from Rock Island, representing the Augustana Synod, were Dr. G.A. Brandelle, Dr. L.G. Abrahamson and J.G. Youngquist.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island Red Cross Chapter has packed 50 Christmas boxes for servicemen in conjunction with the ''Christmas on the High-Seas'' program.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The Mercer County Zoning Board of Appeals tabled a controversial rezoning request Thursday and told Valhalla Enterprises, which wants to build a shopping mall and condominiums in rural Sherrard, to make peace with objectors.
Back: Available days in October 2005