Day in history for October 27, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- One of the deck hands on the Steamer Lamartine accidentally fell from the boat into the Mississippi this morning and was drowned.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Maj. H.C. Connelly addressed the 4th Ward Hancock Club this evening.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Not discouraged by the adverse attitude of the retail merchants, the students of Rock Island High School announced they would not discontinue their efforts to publish the High School Journal.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Solution of the disappearance of Earl L. Yocum, 50, president of the Yocum State Bank of Galva, revolved today around a mysterious special delivery letter received yesterday afternoon by Mrs. Yocum, telling of the safety of her millionaire husband. Yocum is believed to have been abducted from his palatial home at Galva.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Four grass fires in the last two days produced a warning today from East Moline Fire Chief George LeRette on the need for caution at this period of the year.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A 21-year-old man told authorities he ''has no recollection'' of how he became trapped more than two hours in a tank under an outhouse in Black Hawk State Historic Site Sunday night.
Back: Available days in October 2005