Day in history for October 21, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The members of the bar of Rock Island County expressed deep regret at the death of Col. D.G. McGown, a Rock Island lawyer.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Democrats of Rural township held a rally last night which was addressed by Dr. J.F. Todd of Galva. There was a torchlight procession by the Rural Hancock Club, headed by the Milan cornet band.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The annual banquet of the Young People's Assn. of Broadway Presbyterian Church, a feature of the 23rd anniversary meet, was held last night.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Leon W. Mitchell of Rock Island, vice president of the Rock Island Stove Co., was elected president of the board of directors of the Rock Island Welfare Assn.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The investigation into the arson attempt at McKinley School, Moline, is broadening in scope. The fires, all small, were started under a basement stairway, in the cafeteria and in a washroom.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Postcards from the collection of Aretta Watzel currently are on display at the Rock Island Public Library. The cards, dated from the turn-of-the-century to about 1915, include scenes of past Rock Island landmarks, familiar Quad-Cities sights and greeting cards.
Back: Available days in October 2005