Day in history for October 19, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Col. D.G. McGowan of Rock Island died at 3 this morning at the Island City Hotel. The colonel had recently returned from his former home in Philadelphia and he had been confined to his room but a few days. He was a lawyer in Rock Island and was between 35 and 40 years of age.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Members of the First Methodist Church held a reception for their new pastor, the Rev. S.S. McCord, and to honor a former pastor, the Rev. George R. Palmer.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Kolb and Dill in ''I.O.U.'' appeared tonight at the Illinois Theater.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Temperatures which average 15 degrees below normal will continue in the Quad-Cities tonight and tomorrow.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Dorothy Harmon, 16, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas T. Harmon, 226 30th Ave., East Moline, has won $300 on Strike It Rich radio-television program. The show was seen at 9:30 a.m. yesterday over WHBF-TV and heard over WOC radio at 10:30 a.m. today in a recorded broadcast.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Chara Benzon of Moline will play the part of Donna Fortune in the University of Iowa Theater production of ''The House Across the Street,'' written by University of Iowa Playwrights Workshop student Darrah Cloud.
Back: Available days in October 2005