Day in history for October 1, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- At a meeting of the Rock Island City Library and Reading Room Assn., the following officers were elected: Hon. Joseph Knox, president; H.C. Connelly, Esq., vice president; William Bailey, treasurer; and R.M. Marshall, secretary.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- B.H. Truesdell, Democratic candidate for congress, and Mayor H.C. Connelly will speak in Moline, Milan and Port Byron.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Word was received here of the death near Los Angeles, Calif., of Mrs. J.C. Waterbury. She was the former Miss Helvig Hagemann.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Setting a World Series record, the Philadelphia Athletics combed Burleigh Grimes for five hits, all for extra bases and converted them into runs to beat the St. Louis Cardinals 5 to 2 in the opening games of the 1930 World Series.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A bird which picked up a lighted cigarette is believed to be responsible for a fire at the Cordova Legion Home last evening1980 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island Police Officer 1041 has soft, brown eyes, a regulation short hair cut and bright, white teeth. The new officer's name is Max. With his partner Officer 1067, called Smokey, Max was introduced formally today as Rock Island's K-9 Teams went into action.
Back: Available days in October 2005