Day in history for September 28, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday afternoon, a little past 4, a Mr. Brooks rode in a balloon over the twin-cities, descending in about a half hour on the prairie back of Davenport. Nearly 3,000 persons watched the exhibition.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- ''Deception,'' a society play by the Piercy combination, was the attraction at the Harper Theater tonight.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- By remodeling the former dining room on the second floor of the Rock Island House, the establishment has been provided with a fine ballroom.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Amateur League football season opened at Douglas Park with two games.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- All employees at East Moline State Hospital will go on a 40-hour week beginning Saturday, it was announced this morning by Dr. Armin H. Wolff, superintendent of the hospital. Those affected most by the change will be the attendants and student nurses who had been on a 48-hour schedule.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- When Ray Michael drives his car through Bettendorf, people stop and stare. Michael and a handful of his 14 employees at the Michael Co. began building prototypes about three years ago until they finished their latest, and ''best,'' electric model last month.
Back: Available days in September 2005