Day in history for September 1, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- It was announced that the population of New York City, just taken by census marshals, was 624,176, a gain of over 3,000 from the last official census.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. William Brooks left for Groveton, Coos County, New Hampshire, where Mr. Brooks was born. They planned to stay several weeks before returning to Rock Island.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Ringling's Circus paraded through the streets of Rock Island in the morning and gave afternoon and evening performances.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The St. Louis Cardinals extended their winning streak to nine games, winning a marathon 20-inning contest from the Chicago Cubs, 8-7.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The transition from the use of glass bottles to pure pack paper containers for milk products will be begun tomorrow by The Quad-City Fairmont Foods Co., the successor to Peerless Dairy Co., Rock Island.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Miss Peggy and her Romper Room Do-bees are returning to a late-morning time slot on WQAD-TV at the urging of area parents. The popular live educational program for preschoolers will move from its present 6:30 a.m. air time to 11 a.m. Sept. 8. Peggy Wittke hosts the show.
Back: Available days in September 2005