Day in history for August 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The population of the state of Wisconsin is 55,000, with Milwaukee the leading city with 30,000.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- S.S. Kemble, principal of the First Ward School, was promoted to be the principal of Rock Island High School. He succeeded B.T. Hathaway.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Grand Templar of Illinois opened its conclave here. At the session of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, J.B. Holland was elected Grand High Priest.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- An attempt to shoot Roy Carey, Carbon Cliff village clerk, was made while he was driving his automobile from his home to his office. Police were attempting to link the incident with the recent bombing in East Moline.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A request for annexation to the United Township school district by Colona-Green Rock officials has been taken under advisement by East Moline School Board members.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Southpark Mall developers are laying plans to add a fifth major department store, possibly the Sears store now located in Moline's King Plaza. General Growth has negotiated with two or three major department stores, but would neither confirm nor deny
Back: Available days in August 2005