Day in history for August 7, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Dr. J.R. Hayes has opened an office in Leas And Sons new block on Madison Street, opposite Union Square. His card can be found in our paper today.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- A new plank sidewalk is being laid on the east side of the First Baptist Church and a new drain pipe put in from the end of the church adjoining the residence of the pastor.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The mile track races begin tomorrow. The Rock Island will run trains to the track every 15 minutes. Four $1,000 stake races are to be pulled off during the week, one each day, with 16 to 24 entries in each race.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Burglars ransacked the electrical store operated by the firm of Leithner And Weishar, 1616 3rd Ave., Rock Island.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A building permit to construct a swimming pool at the Tallcorn Motel, Davenport, was issued to Frank Smith today. It will be the first motel pool in the area.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A Whiteside County farm family has been named a sweepstakes winner in the state 1980 Conservation Family of the Year Awards. The Doug Vandermyde family of rural Morrison was honored at the annual meeting of the Association of Illinois Soil and Water Conservation Districts in Springfield.
Back: Available days in August 2005