Day in history for August 31, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Gov. Barstow, Wisconsin, received the nomination for reelection, having 108 votes out of a possible 126 on informal ballots.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- A fishway was being constructed at the Little Dam, in accordance with a law ruling that fishways must be constructed near each dam.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The conference of the Christian Volunteers closed in Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Taking the pylons at 120.77 miles an hour in a Monocoupe, Vern Roberts of Moline won the 25-mile men's cabin ship race in the National Air Races at Chicago. Bart Stevenson, also of Moline, finished third.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island Millwork Co., 2525 4th Ave., Rock Island, was closed today for cleanup operations after Rock Island firemen were called to the plant five times yesterday. The trouble centered in a 4-story brick sawdust storage building at the north end of the plant.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Kathy Campbell, 21, of Rock Island, and about 60 other riders left the Rock Island YMCA last Saturday for a four-night, five-day ride to the Indiana state line. Sponsored by the Joliet YMCA and Bicycle Club, the trip drew riders ranging in age from 15 to 56 years.
Back: Available days in August 2005